Mack...

Mack...

Inläggav Fredrik Klint » 15 dec 2011, 21:23

Mack är ju ett klassiskt märke som finns än idag, med bulldoggen som symbol.
I Sverige reggades en del men det var ändå ett av de mer sällsynta märkena.

1939: 28st
1946: 3st
1947: 22st
1948: 36st
1949: 8st
1950: 15st
1951: 14st
1952: 5st
1953: 3st
1954: 1st

Exempel på en av bilarna som reggades -48 men var av årsmodell -45: http://tow.se/oldcar/s510102.htm
Mest intresserad av bärgningsbilar - Har Du nya/gamla bilder på svenska bärgare? Ta gärna kontakt.
Fredrik Klint

Re: Mack...

Inläggav Gerlof » 04 nov 2016, 14:46

Hello Fredrik,
Sorry for writing in English, but I', from Holland and don't speak Swedish :D
This is an interesting list of the Mack trucks. Were these sold newly to Sweden? Do you know who was the importer at that time? Do you have any other information about Mack trucks in Sweden?
Regards, Gerlof
Gerlof

Inläggav Per Thomson » 04 nov 2016, 17:24

Gerlof, I don,t think any Macks were sold later than those in Fredriks table. One reason can have been that our own brands introdused syncronised gearboxes and later on restrictons for cabin strenghts.
I guess I have one or a couple of photos on Macks used after WWII for transports from Sweden to warcountries but I haven't access to them until a couple of days. Maybee I also have to ask for permission to forward them?
Hälsningar
Per Thomson
Användarvisningsbild
Per Thomson
Site Admin

Inläggav Gerlof » 04 nov 2016, 22:26

Hello Per,
Thank you for your reaction! I guess you might be right about no newer Macks. That would be really great if you have some pictures of those ex war Macks! I hope you get permission to send them :D
Regards,
Gerlof
Gerlof

Inläggav S-V L44 » 04 nov 2016, 22:55

Here is at least one.

http://www.tow.se/index3.htm

// Kjell N
Användarvisningsbild
S-V L44

Inläggav Gerlof » 04 nov 2016, 23:04

Hi Kjell,
great pictures of that NM towtruck and the NO towtruck. And nice to see the paperwork of an EES model. Such a shame there is no picture of that truck. It's registered in 1949. Hope to see more of these great trucks!
Regards, Gerlof
Gerlof

Inläggav Per Thomson » 09 nov 2016, 13:19

Gerlof, from a talk with a friend I heard that a Mack has been used with mining in Kiruna in the 60 th or 70 th. Also one reason for the lack of Mack trucks in Sweden maybe was an agreement between Scania-Vabis and Mack about sharing design knowledge in the beginning of the 50 th. Mack was interested of Scanias Diesel engine with direct injection and Scania of Macks big busses and also rear gear.

About the rear gear, Scanias rear gear was too week for the more common big loads in forestry an mining at the beginning of the 50 th, so Scania decided to use Macks design. But the test of the first swedish manufactured gear was a disapointment, the gear crashed just after e few days. They tested another one and the same happened. The reason behind this was a calculation miss when translation the design from inches to metrics. :lol:

Here is one of the trucks used with the first transports from Sweden to Germany and other war countries after WW2. The wehicles have to had flags painted, that was a must to get permisson to visit those countries during the still unsertain period after the war. Photographer: Erik Hag.

EH03.jpg
Foto: Erik Hag
EH03.jpg (142.11 KiB) Visad 30145 gånger
Hälsningar
Per Thomson
Användarvisningsbild
Per Thomson
Site Admin

Inläggav Gerlof » 09 nov 2016, 13:52

Hi Per, thank you so much for this information and the fantastic picture! It's great to see such an impressive NR model with that beautiful local manufactured cab. I read somewhere on the internet about the Kiruna mine. Could it be that it was a blue and white DM model from Norway? What a shame about the miscalculation in the rear gear :D Those Scania Metropol and Capitol buses were really very impressive!

In my collection I have a small brochure about Smörjnings föreskrifter Mack Lastvagnar. It was published by Nordiska Motor AB in Stockholm. Does anyone know if that could be a Mackdealer or importer? The small brochure is from 1947 for the model EF.

From an old Mack brochure from 1921 I saw that the Swedish dealer was Akt. Harold Schüssler in Stockholm. Does anyone have any information about that company?
Regards, Gerlof
Gerlof

Inläggav S-V L44 » 09 nov 2016, 14:32

Lastbilen på fotot ovan är enligt registreringshandlingar av årsmodell 1946, men registrerades första gången i Sverige i september 1947.
Bilen ägdes under 1953 av åkaren Georg Stelzer i Råå och fick registreringsnumret M8714.
Första hälften av 1954 ägdes bilen av åkaren Evert Gustav Boström i Helsingborg, och Georg Stelzer köpte tillbaks bilen i augusti samma år samtidigt som han lät ställa av den.
Bilen avregistrerades i september 1959.

The truck shown on the picture above was manufatured in 1946 but registrered first time in Sweden in September 1947.

// Kjell N
Användarvisningsbild
S-V L44

Inläggav Gerlof » 09 nov 2016, 15:23

Hi Kjell,
Thank you for the information. How do you know these exact dates? Can you find them in Swedish database? In Holland we had many of these NR Macks, around 650. They were very populair in international transport. Do you think these ex army trucks were also in the list of Fredrik? So that this is one of the 22 registred Macks in 1947?
Regards, Gerlof
Gerlof

Inläggav S-V L44 » 09 nov 2016, 17:24

In the small town, Landskrona, where I grew up in Southern Sweden, there were at least three Mack trucks owned by two different companies.
The trucks that I have managed to find old registration titles about so far, are these:
1947 - Mack EE -- Owned by AB NB Olssons Biltransporter in Landskrona.
1948 - Mack E S-88 (three axles) -- Owned by AB NB Olssons Biltransporter in Landskrona.
1952 - Mack EF -- Owned by Dragarelagets Åkeri AB in Landskrona.
All three trucks were purchased new and taken out of service between 1957 and 1960, but I still have personal memories of at least two of them (but no pictures unfortunately).
Even though these models are not amongst the biggest Mack trucks, they are the size of a Scania-Vabis L51 for example, they looked much mightier and made a nice impression on the road.

// Kjell N
Senast redigerad av S-V L44 09 nov 2016, 18:57, redigerad totalt 1 gång.
Användarvisningsbild
S-V L44

Inläggav Gerlof » 09 nov 2016, 18:42

Hi Kjell, thank you so much for this information again! Do you rembember the names of those companies? You're right that these Mack trucks weren't the biggest, but they had such beautiful noses/hoods. For me the E S-88 is a big surprise. I thought almost all of the new E models in Europe were two axled trucks. Maybe we will find pictures of these trucks someday. That would be very nice. I hope you can help me out with more information. Regards, Gerlof
Gerlof

Inläggav S-V L44 » 09 nov 2016, 19:05

I added the information about owners above.

I don't know, because I was only about 8 years at the time, but the additional 3rd axle might have been manufactured by a Swedish company, e.g. Rydhs.
Those additional 3rd axles were quite common on many trucks on Swedish roads at the time.

// Kjell N
Användarvisningsbild
S-V L44

Inläggav Gerlof » 09 nov 2016, 20:54

Hi Kjell, thank you for adding the companynames! I guess those companies don't excist anymore? The third axle could be from Mack, because the signature S in the registration means Sixwheeler. But it's possible that the third axle was provided in Sweden. It's such a shame that it's been so long ago, which makes it hard to find all the answers :D
Do you know if there is something like a digitaldatabase in Sweden with pictures from the past?
Regards, Gerlof
Gerlof

Inläggav S-V L44 » 09 nov 2016, 21:39

You are correct. Those two companies do no exist anymore.
Interesting observation about the "S" for the 3rd axle. It might be a Mack with a "genuine" Mack 3rd axle.
All those three trucks were sold by an unknown distributor in Helsingborg as far as I can read from the documents.
There are a couple of photos from said trucking companies in this archive.
Three of the pictures show one of the Macks that I mentioned.
It must be the 1952 EF from Dragarelagets Åkeri.

B1002327.jpg
B1002327.jpg (127.38 KiB) Visad 30078 gånger

http://www.landskronaminnesbanken.se/Fo ... %F6k&sok=1
I have copied the link with the default search word "lastbil" (Swedish word for truck, lorry, etc.) as you can see at the bottom search box.
I have searched this archive myself a number of times, looking for my fathers trucks (Volvos, Dodge-Fargo, Scania-Vabis and Internationals between 1936 and 1969) but so far not found any of his trucks unfortunately.
I have the intention to visit the museum which is only about 30 km from where I am living now just to try to find some photos of trucks.

// Kjell N
Användarvisningsbild
S-V L44

Nästa

Återgå till Amerikanska lastbilar