AEC-motor grund till Scanias V8

Här presenteras, visas och kommenteras modell historik.

Moderatorer: Anders Ason, Moderatorer

AEC-motor grund till Scanias V8

Inläggav Lars-Gunnar » 15 dec 2012, 14:59

Från trucknet

Det handlar om att England hade tekniken på många områden men lastbilstillverkarna satsade inte pengar för utvecklingen. När de väl vaknade hade Scania och Volvo erövrat marknaden.

Englands designers var aldrig problemet, alla tidigare Datsun bilar hade motorer baserad på Leylands A & B serierna 1300 & 1800 motorer, tidigare SAAB hade Triumph baserade motorer, och naturligtvis Scanias legendariska V8 var baserad på en AEC motor, de (Svenskarna) visste hur man fick dem att fungera.
Våra designers fick aldrig någon finansiell uppbackning.

Vad vet forumet om detta?

Lars-Gunnar :)
Lars-Gunnar

Re: AEC-motor grund till Scanias V8

Inläggav Kjell T » 15 dec 2012, 21:20

Tidiga Nissan var INTE baserade på Leyland! Det var Austin som stod modell för Nissan/Datsun ! Att BMC sernare blev BLMC är en annan senare historia!
Kjell T

Inläggav bma.finland » 16 dec 2012, 19:48

dementerat flera gånger på trucknet ,aec var 12l och helt annan
bma.finland

Inläggav Lars-Gunnar » 16 dec 2012, 23:41

bma.finland skrev:dementerat flera gånger på trucknet ,aec var 12l och helt annan

Tack för det bma.finland. Jag har inte läst hela trucknet så det har jag missat. Vad gäller detta forum så finns det ju enormt mycket att läsa om man vill. Engelsmännen och andra är förvånansvärt duktiga på att komma ihåg och villiga att skriva.

Lars-Gunnar
Lars-Gunnar

Inläggav Böll » 30 dec 2012, 18:47

Va de inte Per Thompson som hämta en Mercedes v8 på sent 60 tal o körde till Scania i södertälje,nåt klingar bekant där..då kan man ju fundera på hur Scanias v8 blev till...
Böll

Inläggav Per Thomson » 07 jan 2013, 19:35

Text från ett äldre inlägg på annan plats i detta forum:
>>
Jo, jag lastade år 1965 hos Deutz i Köln en V8:a som kom att lossas hos S-V i Södertälje även fast det stod helt andra uppgifter om köpare och leveransadress i frakthandlingarna. Så här långt efteråt tror jag inte att detta avslöjande har någon betydelse, det är ju allmänt känt att biltillverkarna alltid spionerat på varandras lösningar. Deutz fabriker i Köln tillverkade större motorer för fartyg eller industribruk om jag minns rätt. Som motorintresserad yngling var det intressant att få skåda en V8 med sådana dimensioner att den nästa skulle kunna sitta i en lastbil så fantasin skenade iväg. Dröm om min förvåning efter det att jag lossat annat styckegods på en terminal i Årsta fick beskedet att Deutz motorn skulle jag ta med till Södertälje dit jag skulle för att lasta upp nästa last till Holland. Några månader senare när jag var åter i Södertälje för lastning lyckades jag nästla mig in i experiment-verkstaden och där med egna ögon bese ett prototyp-block till den kommande S-V V8:an.
<<
Tidigare tråd:
"Scanias V8a Vem utvecklade den?"
http://www.veteranlastbilar.se/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3631&p=28034&hilit=Scania+V8a#p28034
Hälsningar
Per Thomson
Användarvisningsbild
Per Thomson
Site Admin

Inläggav tiptoppviking » 26 feb 2014, 18:47

The AEC V8 is not at all like a Scania , the AEC has` dry` cylinder liners and everything is different , because AEC/Leyland gave up with the V8 around 1970 and England got the first V8 Scanias about then and also many Scanias had engine problems at that time resulting in some haulage firms putting Cummings or Rolls -Royce motors in Scania LB110 /140 `s , so began this stupid story of Scania using ALL OF AEC`s motors , but people always put Scania ahead of Volvo when in fact in the UK they both began imports to the UK on the 1st of January 1967 when Britain and Sweden both became members of the EFTA free trade agreement , but after just five years by 1972 Volvo was number one in the UK 28 ton and over sales group and Scania was way down the sales figures with the other importers such as Daimler-Benz ,Magirus- Deutz and DAF (DAF did develope Leyland engines) AB Volvo increased its lead year on year for ten more years before Scania started to clime up the sales figures but even by 1987 Scania was only selling half of the number of Volvo`s sales in the UK , in the UK it was found the lightest Scanias to be the best such as 16 ton two axle P82 and tractor for 32 ton with trailer , it was to Volvo that british haulage turned to to replace its Leyland group trucks two F86`s were sold for every F88 , as we could carry 22 tons load with an 86 at 32 tons gross and all spare parts were available to keep the truck on the road ,your heavy duty `Tudor` batteries made for Swedish winters would last for seven years in England (English batteries only one to three years ) and the TD70 motor gave us many many more miles than a Leyland and was very easy to work on , the F86 could take us ten english miles (16km) on a gallon of diesel loaded , a Scania LB110 only five ! and the Scania was over the Legal weight with 20 ton ombord untill 1983
tiptoppviking

Inläggav Per Thomson » 27 feb 2014, 18:58

tiptoppviking skrev: . . .
and the Scania was over the Legal weight with 20 ton ombord untill 1983

Thank you very much for this report! I'm impressed about your history knowledge. :)
What happened with Scania after 1983? (see your quted words).
Hälsningar
Per Thomson
Användarvisningsbild
Per Thomson
Site Admin

Inläggav tiptoppviking » 28 feb 2014, 01:43

Hej Per och tack , i 1983 the UK maximum weight was raised from 32 English ton (32 520 kg) on 4 axles to 38 000 kg ( 38 tonne ) 37.5 ton on 5 axles , so with a 3 axle trailer the 20 ton could be carried even with a heavy tractor such as a Scania LB110 , and a 36 ton (36 600 kg) 8 speed Volvo F7 could carry more than many heavy 38 tonners , but then customers wanted us to transport loads of up to 27 ton ! so we could buy a Volvo F720 with a 16 speed gearbox for 38 tonne (245 hk version of TD70 INTERCOOLER ) to do it legal or an F12 to to it FAST but overweight ! , later came 40 tonne on 5 axles or 41 tonne on 6 axles (to carry to same but do less road damage ) then 44 tonne on 6 axles with a load of up to 30 ton with a light tractor such as a Volvo FM 12 , MVH Alan.
tiptoppviking

Inläggav Per Thomson » 28 feb 2014, 09:37

Very interesting :D
Do you know if it's any regulation about minimum hp/ton in UK?

Another Q: What about full-trailer regulations over the years? I guess full-trailers have always been exceptions in UK. Once in the middle of 60th I met one UK Volvo FB88 with trailer in Germany, the two guys belonging to the train told me that it was really difficult to get permission for their vehicle combination and they had an extra trailer-brake controll mounted for the co-driver. Pherheps this was the first and only with such hard restrictions? :o
Hälsningar
Per Thomson
Användarvisningsbild
Per Thomson
Site Admin

Inläggav Lars-Gunnar » 28 feb 2014, 22:58

Tack Alan, I'm very impressed of your knowledge of or truck history and regulations. I have little knowledge of how Volvo and Scania in Great Britain. I do know about F86 as the owner of them had a great praise for their lorry's. Even company drivers loved them. But they found that lorry a little underpowered and depends on what they pulled I guess. The common lorry's was a two-axle trailer. Here they often is 2-axle and 3-axle rigid trucks. Regarding to F7 as was a more powerful lorry but not so popular as F86 but it perhaps depends of the facts Volvo introduced their F88 lather F89 I think.

but I must admit Great Britain had many great makers of great trucks. Every types of lorries had characters an different faces. Today when we see trucks it seems as they are twins or have little characters may I say.

Thanks once again and you is a great member of our forum an we always like your comments.

Lars-Gunnar :)
Lars-Gunnar

Inläggav tiptoppviking » 01 mar 2014, 03:06

Tack Par och Lars-Gunnar , sorry to use English but my keybord does not have the circles and dots (or maybe i cannot work it yet ) yes we had a 6 hp (minimum )per ton law so the F86 was just OK for 32 ton gross (22 ton load) it was a little underpowered by the mid 1970`s but when the F86 was introduced in 1967 we had Gardner `150` and Cummings `180` ,Mercedes 180 and the big `power trucks` were the Leyland `Beaver `11.1 Lr (201 hp) and the AEC `Mandator` (220hp) with some 12.5 Lr , , however the `little ` 86 would overtake all of these on hills ! because of the clever syncro gearbox ,and one driver in a cafe said `those little F86 Volvo`s are only a boy trying to do a mans job` and so came the answer from a driver that had just been overtaken by a heavy loaded 86 `` that is some dumperkorg strong boy`` , regarding trailers we had 13 M total (why metric ?) from 1965 so trailer was from 31 to 34 foot depending on tractor used (most trailers were 32.5 ft) and ASG / Roadferry used 10 M (32ft 10ins)trailers , then 1968 came 15 M totalt so 40 ft ( 12.2 m )trailers were possible , but for a while up to 1972 in fact we found the longest trailer we could tow with our F86`s were 38 ft (to be legal) later all laws were again amended , MVH Alan.
tiptoppviking

Inläggav Anders » 24 jan 2015, 23:49

Per Thomson skrev:Text från ett äldre inlägg på annan plats i detta forum:
Deutz fabriker i Köln tillverkade större motorer för fartyg eller industribruk om jag minns rätt.

Som passus kan nämnas att Deutz fartygsdieslar stundtals gick under öknamnet "Hitlers sista hämd" pga avsaknaden av driftsäkerhet.

Anders
Användarvisningsbild
Anders

Inläggav Per Thomson » 25 jan 2015, 10:50

:lol:
Hälsningar
Per Thomson
Användarvisningsbild
Per Thomson
Site Admin

Inläggav dragdjur » 30 jul 2016, 19:55

En gammal tråd. Men jag inflikar: Det talas om Scania och Deutz i tråden. I dag är Volvo den enskilt störste aktieägaren i Deutz. 25,0%. :roll:
dragdjur

Nästa

Återgå till Scania-Vabis Historik